Buckeye Herps Blog

A photographic journal of the reptiles and amphibians of Ohio, Michigan and other places interesting wildlife call home.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cashing in on paid dues

The last couple days have been hotter then hades up here in SE Michigan and today was no exception. I spent the previous night working, which ended up being a blessing in disguise. It served the much needed purpose of ensuring I was awake(actually not asleep yet) at a very early hour. Unfortunately, after around 930 am I really started to crash. It didn't matter, the trip was quickly a success.

This yearling Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake found basking in the early morning glow of 830 am.




Cute enough to kiss, no?

Shortly after, fatigue and general "cloudiness" started to set in. It hit the 90s, and the humidity was off the charts due to the recent storms that have been blowing through. A couple eastern gartersnakes were also found, as well as a few butlers garter snakes. My counterpart and I enjoyed the morning after the early success and took it easy hoping for another Sistrurus.

I was just reliving my first MI massasauga yesterday hoping it would conjure luck, and now here I am enjoying the memory of my second. What do the two have in common?

I worked over night both times before hitting the field. And both times I survived the ride home to tell about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment