Buckeye Herps Blog

A photographic journal of the reptiles and amphibians of Ohio, Michigan and other places interesting wildlife call home.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Roadcruising Riffs: 2

A quality night of roadcruising and a good set of tunes definitely go hand-in-hand. Invariably, whether with a friend or alone, bodies fatigues and eyes get droopy, decreasing frog, salamander, or snake sightings. But with a rockin' list of tunes on the CD or iPod, roadcruising stamina can extend in the later hours of the night or morning. Here in Ohio, it seems that peak roadcruising snake activity is for the first hour or two after nightfall under right conditions. But in other environments, quality roadcruising can extend into the wee hours of the morning (e.g., desert, tropical dry forest) (although, my experience here is admittedly lacking). In Costa Rica, I can definitely testify that good, upbeat music helped keep my senses alert late into the night..... (that, and 2-3 large Cokes)

Although, I was totally passed out when we cruised right over our only AOR central american coral snake (Micrurus nigrocinctus).... Oops! I've heard no end of grief over that mishap...

Anyway, a bunch of my Costa Rican buds got me hip to Ska music all over again - an excellent genre to jam out to while chasing down Bothrops, Porthidium, and Micrurus....

No comments:

Post a Comment